Welcome to my blog!

Here you'll find my ramblings about hair bows, crafts and boutique chatter for children. In the past, I ran a children's boutique. While the recession forced the doors closes, I've never given up my passion for hair bows, smocking, dresses, etc...

With 10 years experience of hair bow making and designing, my specialty has become mini korker hair bows. While I still make hair bows of all shapes, sizes and forms, my niche is korkers. Currently, these bows are for sell directly, at craft shows, on Etsy and eBay. When time allows I do custom orders. I will also consider wholesale and retailer orders of my korker hair bows and my Facebook page. Please inquire if interested or find me at my Esty or Facebook page. Thanks for visiting!

Is Grosgrain Ribbon Washable?


You might find yourself in a situation that leaves you asking "Is grosgrain ribbon washable?" Most varieties/brands of grosgrain ribbon is made from 100% polyester. Unless the ribbon is of poor quality, it's really durable and can stand a washing. However, before you wash grosgrain ribbon, there are a few things to consider...

  • Seal the ends! Sealing the ribbon will keep it from raveling out during a washing. Once that weave starts raveling, it doesn't take long for the entire strand to fray out.
  • Be aware of color fasting. Some prints and colors (especially red) will run or rub off in the wash.
  • Do not bleach or use harsh detergents and soak stains before washing.
  • Hang the ribbon to dry so it doesn't melt or wrinkle. Wrinkling will be unavoidable, but hanging it to dry will help some. If you do use a dryer, use a low setting. There are ways to remove wrinkles from ribbon.
Why would I want to wash my grosgrain ribbon?

Well, it's not actually necessary if you are just using it for decorations, but I always recommend washing anything that will be worn against the skin. You can never be too careful of dyes and chemicals that might be there. You'll also want to make sure you wash any excess dye before attaching a trim to something like a dress. You don't want the ribbon to bleed off on the fabric in the wash. Now, if you're like me, I can't count how many times I spilled my soda on ribbon. So, I've found myself washing it for that reason. It usually comes out really well. Then some ribbon, with time can become very dusty. You might consider just spot cleaning already shaped items like hair bows.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree more!Unless the ribbon is of poor quality, it's really durable and can stand a washing. By the way,if you need high quality ribbon,you can get cheap grosgrain ribbon from our ribbon store.

    ReplyDelete